Rogers reopens after gas leak

Update: Queens University Police Chief Mac Cable said in a Wednesday email that the leak was of freon gas, not natural gas, as Director of Campus Services Aaron Sisson said earlier in the week.

Rogers Science and Health Building reopened and classes in the building resumed normally Tuesday morning, after a gas leak outside the building caused students and faculty to be evacuated and the building to be put on lockdown Monday night.

Campus police said Monday night that the building’s boilers caused the scare after the machines reacted to a malfunction by shutting down and pushing the gas outside of Rogers. However, Director of Campus Services Aaron Sisson said by email Tuesday that was not the case.

The fire department responded to a call for a natural gas leak and arrived at approximately 8 p.m.,” Sisson said. “Piedmont Natural Gas was contacted by the fire department and arrived shortly thereafter and located a small leak outside the building.”

Piedmont Natural Gas found the leak using a device that detects natural gas and then tested the site once more after they completed the repair to ensure safe operation, according to Sisson.

“We do not anticipate any further leaks in the future, however buildings always have a potential for issues due to age and wear,” Sisson said.

Check back for more updates in the coming days.

, , , , ,

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Published by students of Queens University of Charlotte, 1900 Selwyn Avenue, Charlotte, N.C. 28274.